Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Song of the South-Tales of Brer Rabbit

Taylor's new favorite video on you tube has become the "Tales of Brer Rabbit" from Walt Disney's "Song of the South." It's got the wonderful song "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah" in it. If you haven't seen it, it is great, a real classic. I remember watching it when I was little! Uncle Remus tells the story of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox in hopes of teaching the lesson that you can't run away from trouble. It is actually what the ride Splash Mountain at Disneyland is based on. I love children's movies and books etc that teach valuable lessons like this, which is one of the reasons I like Dr. Seuss so much. Sometimes it's a lesson that adults need to be taught as well. I often wish I could run away from my troubles! Anyways, Taylor loves it- we usually watch it after his bath every night. Towards the end of his bath he always says "Hmm Hmm," which signals that he is ready to get out. Again, if you haven't seen Song of the South, "Hmm Hmm" is what the hummingbirds and bumblebees say to Uncle Remus when he is looking for the blue bird on his shoulder. Taylor also gets a kick out of Brer Bear when he gets the buttons and tail ripped off him. It's hard to explain, you'll just have to watch it.

No comments: